Monday, June 21, 2010

Today I read chapters 4-6. The main thing that happened in the book was when Billy went and got his dogs. He had saved up for two whole years. Billy had to go from his house in the Ozark Mountains to Kentucky to get his dogs. He walked. It took him a day. I couldn't imagine doing that. But, if I wanted something that badly, like my baseball bat, I would walk for a whole day to get it. I only had to save for 7 weeks. Even though 7 weeks felt like a long time, it was nothing compared to 2 years.

2 comments:

  1. You and Billy are both determined! I couldn't imagine walking 20 miles without shoes... Billy must have had some great calluses on the soles of his feet.
    I think the farthest I have walked is about 16 miles, when I walked to Bellevue. I was glad for my comfortable sneakers.
    -T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack,
    I read "Where the Red Fern Grows" last weekend when I was in upstate New York (the Adirondacks, as the whole area is called). I had never read it before and read it because you asked me to.
    Every morning, I got up very early (6:30 a.m.!), threw on clothes over my p.j.s, went outside for a short walk, and then sat down at the lake's edge with my book. It was a beautiful time to read as it was quiet and I could hear birds in the trees.
    One morning, I was reading about how Billy hunted with his dogs when all of a sudden there was quite a ruckus in the distance. I couldn't even tell what animals were making the noise. It sort of sounded like dogs, so I imagined that coon dogs had treed a coon!
    Being in the north woods really made the book seem real. When Grandpa and I hiked, the paths were quite overgrown and I imagined Billy running through brush and over rocks and tree roots as he ran after the dogs. I can't imagine doing that in the night as he did. There is so much to trip on, not to mention getting lost!
    --Gramellen

    ReplyDelete